28 August 2007

Day 9

Just come back from a walk. went even further today. As i came out the other end of the subway I saw a police car heading towards the supermarket, I used to work there. So I though I would cycle round and just drift past, as you do. Probably a shoplifter, never found out.

I stopped outside the shop wondering what to do next. two lads came out and came so close to me I just thought they were going to stab me in the back. I instantly thought it. I was turning round at the time to go home so I carried on and they went in the opposite direction. I felt very unsafe.

I got to the subway again and saw someone across the road, well when I say saw I mean just the outline of someone. I'm short sighted but only wear glasses for driving, hate having things in front of my eyes. But my sight has gotten worse over the last two years so, now I cant always see people very well.

As I was going under the subway I noticed the same person, on a bike, follow me. I instantly thought again that I was going to be attacked, mugged, bike stolen... I walked a bit faster and in to the car park, got on my bike and cycled a little. I noticed this person stop in front of an information sign. So I cycled around a bit, pretending to look at a recycling bin. I had clearly gotten this person wrong . maybe they were lost?

I needed to stay around and see what this person was like if I could, face my fear as such. As I walked out of the car park this person went to the end of the road, stopped, and then cycled back on my side of the road, so I got a close look.

They were no threat, in fact I think my heart skipped a beat, this person was rather nice. I couldn't believe how wrong I had gotten them. I don't know what age they were. Taller then me but at my age that means nothing, most people are taller than me now. A few years younger than me at a guess.

I wont forget that person in a hurry. Hopefully today will remind me to not see everyone as a threat. Maybe I will pass that way again tomorrow?

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Well done John! Confronting your fears about that person was a major breakthrough. Now you know you can do that and you will be able to do it again.

Aimée said...

Thanks for the thoughts my way. You are doing so well! I often feel the same when I am out alone and someone is walking nearby, I instantly feel unsafe and quicken my pace.

Take Care!