28 October 2007

changes

well I did spend 15 mins writing something only to press send and get the 'cant display page message'. Turned out my modem wanted a little break and didn't tell me. So I lost what I wrote, but never mind.

I have changed the 'about me' profile section. It used to say that I was agoraphobic, but I didn't like having that there. The thing about labels is you start living by them. Its like when my parents tell people that I didn't come with them because I was agoraphobic, really its because I would be bored stupid and wouldn't be the slightest bit interested going. That's why I don't like the term, it gets used for everything and takes over. so i wont be using that label. Hope this makes sense, it does to me.

2 comments:

coffeecup said...

Hi John, quite right, being agoraphobic is just ONE factor that makes up a life. There are times when I feel that I have to say yes to everything, because I believe that it's what you are supposed to do when trying to overcome fear. The trouble is if you make a choice and say no, you end up feeling guilty, and sometimes it's simply because it's just not your thing. You can be roped into doing all kinds of stuff that you wouldn't have done in the past, believing it's for your own good. We all make excuses to get out of doing things at times, (got a cold etc), but it takes a confident person to say 'no thank you, I don't want to'. I might be agoraphobic, but I also have a wealth of other qualities, the last thing that anyone wants is to be branded with what sounds like a negative label name.

Excellent observations! You're an articulate and wise young man. I'm looking forward to catching up with your blog.

Anonymous said...

My advice to those out there with agoraphobia is this...

Your mind will come up with reasons why it believes only a certain area is safe and another is not. Those reasons range from being near the phone or people you trust to having familiar physical surroundings to reassure you.

The truth is, anywhere you are is equally safe. The anxiety in your mind is the only thing that distinguishes a place as bad or good, fun or miserable, happy or sad.

Controlling the anxiety will change your perspective on the world around you and you will see all places as being equally comfortable.

It all starts with babysteps...
-taking your dog for a walk in your front yard.
-having a cup of tea in your backyard.
-going outside in the morning to get the paper
-getting a cup of coffee at a quickie mart nearby.

All these little acts of courage add up. Take 1 risk everyday to start overcoming your agoraphobia.

For more info on overcoming your anxiety, check out:
http://www.Stop-Anxiety-Panic-Attack.com